Thursday, October 28, 2010

October 28th, 2010 - Phantasm

Wow, only 3 days left. And I haven't gotten near everything I wanted to watch done yet. Guess I'll have to do this more regularly. Also, you may have noticed I haven't done my live blogging of the Saw movies yet. There is a good cause for this, which will be revealed shortly. Let's just say that it will three times as awesome now. Approximately.

This is another film I haven't seen for ages. I remember it being way scarier that it was. I also remember it being way less trippy. Jody is looking after this little brother Mike after their parents die. Mike is paranoid of Jody leaving him and follows him everywhere. Meanwhile, the town's citizens are dying mysteriously and Mike starts to suspect that the Tall Man who works in the mortuary in responsible. He starts to investigate and of course, bad things happen.

This is a really bizarre movie. Like Demons it follows it's own sort of internal logic and feels very dreamlike as a result. Not a whole lot is properly explained either, which just adds to the effect. The acting is pretty good, with the standout being Angus Scrimm as the The Tall Man. The effect is lessened because I met Angus Scrimm a few years ago and he is rather short. Like, a good foot shorter than me. So that was a huge disappointment which kind of tainted the film for me. Le sigh.

The director, Don Coscarelli, is probably more well known these days for his film Bubba Ho-tep. It's a bit of a shame, because as awesome as that movie is, Phantasm really deserves to be better know. And for more than those awesome flying silver balls that fuck you up. Those stand the test of time, but the movie surrounding them is pretty badass too. Definitely a great one to watch if you're young and impressionable and are just getting into horror but are bored with all the Friday's and Nightmare. It's a strange, cerebral trip, and one worth taking.

No comments: