Sunday, October 10, 2010

October 9th, 2010 - Werewolf Fever

This is a pretty sweet little movie. I wasn't sure if I should review it at first, seeing as I may be biased towards micro-budget Canadian werewolf movies, but this is my feature and I'll do what I want. Plus I think it makes me qualified.

The plot is pretty thin, bunch of drive-in diner workers are terrorized by a werewolf and picked off one by one. It's pretty short barely 70 minutes, but its well paced, and has no filler. 5 minutes of character development, and then 65 minutes of werewolf mayhem. The actors all do a pretty good job, and made me not want to watch them get eaten right away. The gore is pretty sweet, and has one awesome gag involving a roller skate. The dialogue is a little clunky, but there's a couple of silver one liners. Most importantly, the werewolf effects are believeable and cool. The costume is all practical and very sweet looking.

Anything bad I can say feels like a cheap shot. It's looks very digital. Well shot, and high definition, but still with that digital sheen. It all feels a bit small, like a short filled out to feature length. But it also feels a bit rushed. I could have gone for a bit more character work, a second to catch my breath. It would have made the killing that much more impactful, because like I said, the restaurant staff are a wholly likable bunch.

It doesn't seem like it's going to get a wide release, but if you get any chance, whether festival or rep cinema or getting yoru hands on a DVD, pick it up. It's fun, violent and funny and a great example of what you can do with under 10,000 dollars. You know, besides that other micro-budget Canadian werewolf movie.

No comments: